History of LPC Connect
1907 – La Porte City Farmers Mutual Telephone Co. was incorporated.
- Rural service was $1.00 per month and there were 18-20 parties per line
1918 – Total expenses for the year amounted to $12,094.69.
- $117.25 for blacksmithing
- $501.44 was for horse feed
1919 – Horses were sold for $146.00 and truck was purchased for $849.75.
- Wages paid to telephone operators were $3249.85.
1920 – Taxes paid were $314.01
1979 – Taxes paid $93,160.78
1940 – Total subscriber count of 394 city phones and 465 rural phones.
1959 – Dial service was initiated in La Porte City.
- Mount Auburn exchange was acquired and also converted to a dial service.
- The total cost of those improvements were $312,500.00.
1967 – Rural service was improved to 4 subscribers on each line.
- $90,833.72 was invested in underground cable at that time.
1971 – There were a total of 1915 telephones in service in La Porte City and Mt. Auburn.
1985 – The goal of private service to all customers was completed.
- No more party lines.
1987 – LPC Connect moved to a new office on Main Street.
1989 – Constructed a fiber optic cable to INS that resulted in Equal Access to Long Distance Carriers for our customers.
1993 – LPC Connect begins offering Internet to customers.
1999 – Extended Area Service (toll-free calling) to Waterloo was established.
2001 – LPC Connect offers LPC Long Distance to our customers.
2011 – LPC Connect began construction on the 100% fiber-optic Fusion Network in La Porte City, Iowa.
2012 – LPC Connect completed the Fusion Network with fiber-optic services to all homes and businesses in La Porte City, Iowa.
2012 – LPC Connect launches FusionTV, a digital television service, to customers with fiber-to-the-home.
2013 – LPC Connect upgraded all rural locations to 100% fiber-optic Fusion Network.